Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare; NR

Seriously, who am I to rate the Bard? Billy Shakes has some brilliant lines in this play, which my ignorance of had previously caused numerous people to stand agog over the years. "And you- an Ancient Historian and Latinist?!"

I had to put it to rights, and as it happened, Barnes & Noble had just installed internet browsers on our computer terminals, so I behave like a 12-year-old and abused the privilege in secret... by reading Shakespeare on the internet. Hm. I was going to do "Tempest" next but I just really didn't enjoy reading on a computer screen. Call me crazy.

So anyways, yeah I obviously should have read it before. The history isn't particularly accurate for the most part, but it is fun.  Like most of his plays I found this one inconsistent in the motivation of the characters and in the writing, but that doesn't stop it from having some of the best passages in all of drama.

What are your favorite lines? I'll close with three of mine.

"He thinks too much: such men are dangerous."

"Fierce fiery warriors fought upon the clouds,
In ranks and squadrons and right form of war,
Which drizzled blood upon the Capitol."

"Cry, 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war."

No comments:

Post a Comment