Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Snows Of Kilimanjaro, by Ernest Hemingway 7/10

Do you feel like you remember longer books better? I do. I remember Lord of the Rings super duper well, but the Hobbit much less well. I remember David Copperfield extremely well, and Great Expectations less so. And I remember The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell To Arms significantly better than I do this novella/short story, though I've read it more times and more recently.

You've got a bitter writer type (I wonder if Ernest Hemingway knew anyone like that?) dying from a flesh wound on a safari in Sub-Saharan Africa, and his special lady friend trying to take care of him while he complains about all of his poor decisions and blames her for many of them. It is well written, it takes a good, hard look at death, and is generally bold and gritty. It definitely is the kind of story that makes you think... I just can't remember what many of those particular thoughts were when I read it back in the summer of 2010.

I don't have a lot more than that to say about it, because it hasn't really stuck up there all that well in the old noggin. Maybe the third time I read it, which will come when I tackle my Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway, I'll have more interesting things to say about this. Or maybe I said all the interesting things I would ever have to say about it in Ms. Hope-Gill's class in high school. I dunno. Sorry to lame out on you here, but I have to figure I really liked it at least, it's Hemingway for God's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment