Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Paladin Of Souls, by Lois McMaster Bujold; 8/10 [H]

(Read by Kate Reading)

I got this book to read out of grouchiness (see my previous grumps about fantasy novels winning Hugo awards, even though they are clearly entitled to, on account of my bias in favor of science fiction novels winning), and because I came across it at the public library. Hey presto, it turns out to be a great book, and the author is mainly a writer of science fiction who has won the award for best novel more times than anyone not named "Robert A. Heinlein" (they are tied).

Paladin of Soul is the second book in a trilogy set in a fantasy world of Ms. Bujold's creation, called Chalion. Chalion has its own religion/deities and its own versions of magic to set it apart from other fantasies, though much will be familiar (middle-ages level of technology, etc). Ista, a minor character of the first novel in the trilogy, has just recovered from a magical curse, and feels crushed by guilt of things she did under its effects. In an attempt to recover from the spiritual blight, she undertakes a pilgrimage, which leads to adventure, romance, really cool magic, and highly original mysticism.

The book is particularly recommended not only on account of its distinctive variations, but also because of Bujold's excellent writing. Disbelieve the cover-- this is not trashy fantasy. There are complex characters and even deeper themes occasionally running through a work whose plot alone would easily have made it fun reading.

Kate Reading is a prolific reader of audiobooks, and though I have not yet had another read by her, I hope very much that I will, as she did a superb job.

On the whole, this is one of the better fantasy novels I've ever read. Subsequent reviews will include both the first and the third entries of the Chalion trilogy, and I don't hit sequels with particular regularity, so that is something of a compliment. Also I had the brief pleasure of meeting Lois McMaster Bujold when I worked at the National Book Festival in the autumn of 2012. She was very nice, and I suggested that if she ever wanted to revisit Chalion that she would have at least one faithful reader excited by the prospect. I don't regularly go around telling decorated sci-fi writers to write more fantasy...


No comments:

Post a Comment