Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Rumpole And The Golden Thread" by John Mortimer; 7/10

I discovered for the first time while brushing up my memory on these stories that the stories I read are actually novelizations of the TV show and not the other way around. I had no idea! No wonder all of the actors get their parts so well- they are originating them.

"Rumpole Of The Bailey" is one of my favorite television shows ever, and since the stories read just like watching an episode, Rumpole has always been amongst my favorite comfort reading. If you've seen my post on "The Watchmen" you know what kind of state of mind I was in around this time, and I coped with that as best I could. Sometimes that meant Sherlock, sometimes Rumpole.


I recommend the show more strongly than the stories, but the stories are great too. This particular collection is represents the third series, and it represents perhaps the classic era for the show/characters. I believe that "Rumpole & The Sporting Life" may have been the first Rumpole story I ever encountered, and it features the barrister at his best. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment