Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeleine L'Engle; 8/10

An excellent children's book, and one of the cornerstones of my fantasy reading as a child.

I decided to revisit this as an adult on a lark, I think it may have been after a conversation with Karen.  I wanted to see if it was that good.  Mostly, in this case, it was, although I wasn't thrilled by some of the religious references I hadn't remembered from childhood. 

Three children, with the aid of three eccentric old women set off on a journey across time and space to save the father of two of the children, and, in the process, perhaps the universe.  Their journey takes them to some interesting places and through some terrifyingly suspenseful adventures. They grow along the way, and find themselves.  Doesn't that sound corny? IT ISN'T. No really, this book is fabulous and you should go out and read it decades ago.

For serious, the creativity here abounds, and the thematic and conceptual brilliance of the book, as well as the earnestness and piercing realness of the characters really grab my attention even as an adult.  It took me only a few hours to reread, but it was a period of time well-spent, and I'm glad I did it.  The sequels are great too.

2 comments:

  1. Madeleine L'Engle remains one of my all-time favorite authors. You should expand into some of her other series, if you haven't before. When Meg goes back to save Charles, I always find that conversation as chilling and disturbing as I did the first time. Such a beautiful portrayal of an ordinary family in extraordinary circumstances.

    In terms of the religious references, I always felt that her focus was far more spiritual than religious (though yes, one of her book titles is quoted from the Song of Solomon, and retells the story of Noah), and it never bothered me. But then, that was how I was raised. *grins* It is interesting, though, to revisit childhood favorites and find religious themes in them that you hadn't noticed... would you believe I didn't pick up on any of the Christianity references in the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe series until college?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up on some but not most in Lewis. I agree though that they are mostly spiritual here- hell they even manage to not be that bad in Many Waters. I have always meant to read some of her other things, and I'll get to em someday.

    ReplyDelete